Saturday, November 26, 2011

Well That's Interesting

If I recall correctly, I mentioned in The Haiku Thing a week or two ago that one of the things I like to do at times is revisit stuff that I've done and do it again. I don't think it would go too far to say that blogging is one of those things that I've done in the past and this blog (and its content plan) are a shift, trying to make me do this again.

A tension, however, lies within another recent post (No Days "Off"), in which I really do enjoy keeping myself running and going and doing. I think when I was writing the most in livejournals, I was in high school. High school was marked in part by my regular almost overuse of the Internet in order to interact with people. That is, not a lot of my friends from school lived within walking distance (more like an hour-bus ride at best), and I didn't have a car (or an interest in driving), so I got a lot of my social interactions online.

Aside from that, senior year of high school is probably the time where I got into the method of continually doing things like I try to do now. Between bowling and baseball and getting involved in drama club that year, there really wasn't a whole lot of time left; the rest of it was usually spent at home with the Internet on. So I still did an amount of blogging and instant-messaging to keep up my social.

There was plenty of time when nobody was on, however, and I think I kept myself decently up-to-date with politics and the media. Truly original content is hard. I think it becomes a lot easier to write when you're discussing a think that's out there in the public like the News Of The Day or the most recent Most Outrageous Thing To Happen On TV. To reiterate, it's easier to provide commentary than to provide content.

The way I live right now makes it more difficult to produce commentary, however. I think I'm actually less informed now than I was years ago, but that's because I -- like all other adults -- have things to take care of like finding jobs, paying bills, getting or making food, and planning my next week. When all that's up in the air and I'm running in between things, there's much less time to read the news or pick up a New York Times and see what's happening. I don't feel like an active participant, and I bet a lot of you don't, either.

It may change for me, though, because without full time indefinite employment, I will need to take it easy on spending money. I'll probably travel around less, rein in some spending, and maybe that will get me to think more about what's going on. And maybe I'll find writing a little bit easier with more external things to comment on.

No comments:

Post a Comment